Saturday, March 30, 2013

Language Processing

As we get nearer to the end of the school year, many of my 3 year olds are now 4 and are showing that they have a firm grasp on shapes, colors and even some numbers.  Knowing the names is the first step. . .now we need to process this information.  As you work with your child, ask them to:
 - Name 3 things that are red (or blue, yellow, green etc.)
 - Tell me 3 things that are squares (or circles, triangles etc.)
 - Find 2 flowers or find 5 squirrels etc.  Have them count the     objects by touching each one as they say the number.  (This is 1-1 correspondence) 
 - I wonder what kinds of animals live on a farm...
 - I wonder what animals I would find in that lake...

Language processing is an amazing skill!  It only comes with practice and modeling!  

Most importantly, have fun!  This isn't a test...it's real life! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment