Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Sing it again, Sam...and again, and again, and again...

I have been asked several times why I insist on doing Tooty-Ta every week.  There are several reasons, first and foremost, kids learn from repetition...kids learn from repetition...kids learn from repetition.  Think back to the beginning of the school year.  When I first started the Tooty-Ta song, who was singing and dancing?  The teachers, a few kids and fewer parents.  Look around now.  Who is doing the Tooty-ta?  The teachers, almost all of the kids, and slightly more parents.  Why?  Repetition.  We know the song, we know the words, we know what to expect.  Do we still look a little silly doing it?  Of course we do!  It is important that we teach our children that it is OK to be silly.  It is OK to do things just because they are fun!   There doesn't have to be reason behind what we do all the time.  But, I understand that sometimes it is easier if we do understand the reasoning behind doing something.  So, here it goes.  I use Tooty-Ta as an auditory cue.  When I flash the lights (visual cue) what do the kids and the parents do?  Clean up.  When I start up Tooty-ta (auditory cue), what do the kids do?  They come to the carpet and start dancing.  I also see children asking their parents to come to the carpet, asking them to dance with them, asking them to be silly with them.  How many of your children know the words to Tooty-ta or at least most of them?  That is memory and sequencing.  (first - thumbs up, second - elbows back, third - feet apart etc.) Wow, how many of us can remember that many directions and do them when asked?  I have a hard time remembering why I went into my office!  I have also been told that," my child doesn't like tooty-ta, they won't do it.  My first question is do you do it?  If you, as the parent, won't do it we can't expect that your child will do it either.  As your child's first and most important teacher, they are going to look to you...especially when someone is asking them to something a little odd...let's face it we've all seen the pictures...Tooty-ta is a little odd.  Your child is going to look to you to see if it is OK for them to do this.  If you aren't doing it, they won't do it.  I have seen even the most reluctant child start to Tooty-ta if their parents have been doing it.  Even if it is just the thumbs up or everyone's favorite tongue out...they do it!  And they are doing it because they see you doing it!  If you have never done Tooty-ta, give it a try...I won't watch!  Try it at home with just your kids.  Let your hair down and just be goofy!  It will make you smile (you know it will...just saying Tooty-ta makes us smile...just imagine if you were doing it!)  It will make your child smile and really, is there anything better than seeing your child smile?  That is why I do Tooty-ta every week!  I love to see everyone smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment